I am assistant professor at the Institute of Physics, University of Amsterdam. My research interests are in condensed matter physics. I am currently working on high Tc superconductors, topological insulators, oxide heterointerfaces and Mott insulators. My aim is to (in)validate theories of interacting electron systems using an array of spectroscopic techniques. You can find my publication list here or check out my google scholar profile.
Education & Employment
- Assistant professor, van Heumen laboratory for optical spectroscopy. (2013 - current)
- Visiting scholar in the Infrared Spectroscopy of Novel Electronic and Magnetic Materials of Prof. Dr. Dimitri Basov (2013)
- Post doctoral researcher in the Quantum Matter Amsterdam group of Prof. Dr. Mark Golden (2009 - 2013)
- Research Assistant in the Quantum Materials group of Prof. Dr. Dirk van der Marel (2003 - 2009). You can read my Thesis here.
- Master thesis under supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan Zaanen, Leiden University (2002 - 2003).
- ICAM-I2CAM Junior Exchange Award. Awarded to investigate topological insulators using optical spectroscopy and scanning near-field optical microscopy (SNOM) at the University of California, San Diego. (2013)
- Bruker Optics Netherlands scholarship. Awarded to investigate SNOM techniques at the University of California, San Diego. (2013)
- Winner of a Veni grant from NWO for the period 2010 - 2013. The Veni grant is part of the 'Innovational Research Incentives Scheme' and allows young researchers to develop their ideas over a three year period.
Project title: "Superconductivity enters the iron age: testing quantitative theories of superconductivity in iron pnictide high-Tc superconductors''.
Winner of the IBM prize 2010 for condensed matter research awarded by the Swiss Physical Society.
- Scanning Near Field Optical Microscopy
- Angle Resolved PhotoEmission Spectroscopy
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy/Spectroscopy
- Low Energy Electron Diffraction
- Fourier Transform spectroscopies.
- Time domain teraHertz spectroscopy.
- Infrared microscopy.
- Sample characterization: Resistivity, Susceptibility and Laue experiments.
- Lecturer in the BSc. Physics and Astronomy track. Course title: Condensed Matter physics II
- Coordinator of the BSc. final thesis research projects.
- Lecturer in the MSc physics track 'Advanced Matter and Energy physics'. Course title: Spectroscopy and Microscopy of Quantum Electron Matter (2010-2011 and 2011-2012).
- Teaching assistant in the "Putting electrons to work" course of Prof. Dr. M.S. Golden.
- Supervisor of several Bachelor and Master projects in the QEM group.
- Teaching assistant with the GMI research labs.
- Member of the 2016 Physics@FOM Veldhoven program committee.
- Committee member FOM projectruimte (2015-II).
- Chair and main organiser of the 2011 E-MRS symposium on Iron-pnictide superconductivity in Warsaw, Poland. This symposium took place from 19 -23 September, 2011 with a total of 40 invited and contributed talks and was part of the E-MRS fall meeting.
- Responsible for relocating the FOM-Amsterdam Momentum space Microscope from Roeterseiland to Sciencepark. The move involved overseeing the design of a new lab space (e.g, design and construction of a platform, crane and utilities). I disassembled the setup and constructed a new layout of the system. A new hard x-ray monochromatized source was added and a completely new water-cooling system constructed.
- Student ambassador of the University of Leiden. Responsible for the promotional activities of the physics section of the faculty of science. Organization of student recruiting events and events to promote physics among high school students. (2001 - 2003 )
- Member of the governing board of R.I.N.O. This association consists of physics students that visit Dutch highschools, demonstrating classroom experiments involving liquid nitrogen. (2000 - 2002 )